Sunday 16 August 2015

Rise...Only This Once

 An adapted retelling of Samsons redemption
  He cried out “O Lord, please remember me and please strengthen me only this once, O God, that I may be avenged on the enemies for my two eyes.” And he grasped the two middle pillars on which the house rested.


***
A soldier and his salt walk on the grounds cold,
The distance is no longer known to the old.
The winters crowns; they stub his roughened feet,
The Devils snide, the angels hide, not saying what he needs to be told.

As I keep running towards the horizon, louder my feet get,
The grounds no longer cold, the heat in my veins pulsate.
I crush the first touch, only to watch myself in pain, in sweat,

Let me climb, Only this once, oh God
The walls too high but I can see through as yet.

The turn has revealed of the masses in misery enough,
Biting at his hands, as he hardens his fists tough
Blunt the blows, yet the that he is shield has not tested its steel,
The distance has not moved, only the path rebuffed.

I can hear as my palms get scarred as they ravage,
The flame in my soul begs me to let it out and set it all ablaze.
I pound my head against these stones praying not to be savage,

Let me break, Only this once, oh God,
To bring down what has made me crawl and scavenge.

The tears of heaven, fall gently upon his shoulder,
The woman cries to the skies in, no one’s told her.
The scarred back near bent, erupts, to blood and wings,
Soaring into the grey, his legs still chained to the boulder.

I can feel my hearts as it beats start pounding,
To leave every inch of my skin behind I have started,
The split the air leaves my ears resounding,

Let me strengthen, Only this once, my God,
As I bring down these pillars that shields my dawning.
 
The barrier’s been broken; what seemed like baptism is done
Never knowing that the horizon is the journey itself
Lying crumbled below, eyes of those sleeping yet awaits the sun,
The heights blur these visions that speak of the none.
 
I let go of my senses, all but one is still awake,
To keep moving into the tufts the skies throw at me,
The distance is the same as it was, with no cuts to take.
 
Let me burn, Not only this once, my God,
For the soldier and his salt can never live without ache.

***

He leaned his weight against them, his right hand on the one and his left hand on the other. In that moment the Lord had returned on hearing his prayer. Strength returned for its last break, in death and destroyed all that was harming his people.



 Judges 16:28-30 (paraphrased)

Written By Roshan Nair
 Copyright © 2015 Roshan Nair

Mail your poems to poeticflights@gmail.com to get showcased here

No comments:

Post a Comment